Local Information can be found here:

In addition, the Town Council is currently being guided by/ finding information from the following sources:



Derbyshire County Council microsite

Derbyshire Dales District Council


  • District Council service arrangements:

    The Town Hall at Matlock is now closed but you can phone:
    General enquiries: 01629 761 100
    Benefits: 01629 761 188
    Council Tax & Business Rates: 01629 761 222
    Homelessness: 01629 761 181
    Payment line (bills): 01629 761 295
    Gold Card enquiries: 01629 761 199 
    (all applications will need to be either posted or emailed to DDDC)

    You can pay a bill (eg Council Tax or Business Rates) or report an issue (eg a missed bin collection) or comment on a planning application etc online at www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/DoItOnline

    Citizens' Advice - based at the Town Hall - has suspended all face-to-face services but continues to provide telephone advice, including full appointments that people may need, on 0300 456 8390. Find out more on their website at www.ddcab.org.uk

National Association of Local Councils

The Town Council operates under very specific powers and legislation that differs from other tiers of Government such as Derbyshire Dales District Council and Derbyshire County Council. This link to the National Association of Local Councils is included here as they are providing guidance to all Parish and Town Councils in regard to how we operate and what we can do (legally) during this period.


Stoney Wood

Stoney Wood is Wirksworth's Millennium woodland planted in the area recovered from Stonecroft Quarry. The land on which the wood is planted was donated by Tarmac Ltd to Wirksworth Town Council. The original planting was started by Tarmac but later sections were planted by local adults and children in a project ...

Read More »

Hiring the Hall

Main Hall

We have  two buildings with rooms to hire on an hourly basis, and the newly renovated Fanny Shaw's Community Building (FSCB) which is operated on a key loan system. 

Town Hall:- The Main Hall is large, suitable for a variety of uses - dance, exercise, large meeting space, wedding reception, family parties, musical events, etc, whilst other rooms - the Club Room, Ante Room, Council Chamber, are suited to smaller classes/groups. All rooms are available for hire during the day & evening during week days & weekends.  

Memorial Hall:- the Hall & Kitchen are available to hire for meetings, parties, fayres, events and classes/groups, during the day & evening during week days and weekends.

Fanny Shaw's:- Community building key available free of charge for use by groups such as: parents, schools, nurseries, scouts & not-for-profit groups holding events on the park.      

Read More »

Council Meetings

Environment & Town Affairs
(Usually held on the first Monday of the month)
Finance, Buildings & Personnel
(Usually held on the second Monday of the month)
Town Council Meeting
(Usually held on the third Monday of the month)

Read More »